Friday, July 31, 2009

Just Say 'NO!' to High Fructose Corn Syrup or 'YES!' to Pepsi Throwback


i am a pepsi girl from way back, probably because my dad, was and is, a coke in the 8oz bottle man. i was the new generation. at least that is how the dead MJ sold it while his head was on fire. these days i don't do high fructose corn syrup, so that leaves pepsi out of my fridge. i am not perfect on my NO HFCS fight, so, on occassion, i have been known to indulge on a fountain pepsi at Riverdale Cinema or Target. i heard back in May that pepsi would put out a natural sugar
version, for a limited time. i was in. i looked for it here and while out west on vacay and never did find it. so, early this week a new quest began. i called the local Pepsico to see where in Little Rock the natural sugar soda was sold. my question was met with with an exhale and an "i don't know, Kroger? Wal Mart?". i told ms. helpful senior that i had not seen it at Kroger and she abruptly put me on hold only to come back to tell me that the person i needed to ask was "not there". i told ms. helpful senior that we would both be happier if she liked her job and said good bye. ah, technology. 20 minutes later, my cell phone rang, it was ms. helpful senior, apologetic, asking forgiveness and armed with a list of stores that had ordered Pepsi Throwback in the last month. funny, not 1 Little Rock grocer ordered it. i was directed to Big Star in Mayflower. within 4 minutes of that phone call i was on my way to Mayflower and within an hour i had seven 12 packs safely hoarded. if Big Star is out try Harps in Conway.

Big Star
582 Highway 365
Mayflower, AR 72106
(501) 470-3770

2 comments:

ob2s said...

Here is the best soda I have ever had and I don't drink soda. Look at what is not in the ingredients.
http://hotlipssoda.com/our-sodas/pear.php

mbracy said...

Pepsi Throwback was plentiful here in Seattle, then in vanished after the "limited time" ended in July. I wish I'd stockpiled more than the 12-pak I managed to buy (and the 6-pak of its bottled companion, Pepsi Natural) cuz it is great.

You should try Red Bull cola. Seriously, I was hesitant too but hear me out - it's Swiss, no HFCS, with a variety of natural flavors like lemon, cocoa, and licorice with naturally-occurring caffeine from coffee beans. Caffeine content on par with Coke and Pepsi - not your typical Red Bull product. Interesting taste sensation.