Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hot Tamales

tamales. i have been on a quest of sorts since my favorite tamale man stopped selling his homemade goods from the trunk of his Cadillac on Kavanaugh Blvd. this river market trip brought me to Kent's where the old school, string tied, tamale bundle caught my eye. i bought a pack of 6 for my neighbor. later, i asked her if she liked them and was told "i didn't know what the meat was, it was a mixture, i think." that puzzled me, i guessed they were pork, but, now, i had to try them for myself. i purchased my bundle last Friday and was told the filling was chicken and that they were made by Lackey Hot Tamalein Tuckerman, AR. ok, let me start by saying the cornmeal of the tamale has a reddish tint and you can definitely taste there is some spice to it, that's where the hot in hot tamale comes in. the filling is not discernable, so, i get what my neighbor was talking about there, it is a very fine shred to the meat. all in all, not bad, i like that Kent's is selling the old school tamale and supporting a small business. maybe you should too.

Kent's Downtown Meat Market
Ottenheimer Market Hall/River Market
375-1900

No comments: